Monday 8 February 2016

My Uncle Oswald

        My Uncle Oswald is one of Roald Dahl's stories for adults. It shares the same dark vein of humour demonstrated in Tales of the Unexpected and the more familiar children's stories. The plot concerns the exploits of a young man (the titular Oswald Hendryks Cornelius) in early twentieth century Europe. The young deviant is determined to make his fortune so that he may enjoy a life of privileged leisure, with only the finer things in life. Through his experiences with an incredibly powerful aphprodisiac (powder made of crushed Sudanese Blister Beetles) he hits upon the plan of creating a sperm bank by stealing the sperm of all the great geniuses of the era, which he will then flog to wealthy women. Thus with his partner in crime, Yasmin Howcomely, he sets off on a tour of Europe.

        The risque nature of the plot, coupled with Dahl's flair for dark humor, not to mention the elaborate fashions of the time (on the cusp of both the Art Nouveau and Art Deco movements) I feel would make this an ideal candidate for stop motion animation. Consequently, I aim to create the two central characters, Oswald and Yasmin, and a set for them to inhabit. This is an intimidating challenge, as I have never undertaken the design and construction of a set on my own before. It will allow me to further develop my knowledge of working with the laser cutter, and also present the opportunity to try my hand at new technologies such as the CNC machine. There will also be a number of props to craft (depending upon the selected scene) which will offer me the chance to work with new materials and further my modelling skills. 

        While this will no doubt be a challenging and difficult project, especially when alanced with the three smaller briefs I also intend to undertake, this is a story which I greatly enjoy, which gives me a great dea of motivation and passion to do justice to Dahl's characters, and to ringing his vivid narrative to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment