Wednesday 4 March 2015

Character Designs Phase Two

        After my initial designs, Fiona and I each took responsibility for developing one character each. I took on the gangly butcher (who I've named Gordon/Gilbert). In our discussions, we had covered the possibility of making Gordon scruffier, and less well groomed that in his initial form, as his bow tie ensemble is more suited to a butcher's shop than an abattoir.


        During the design process, I began to ponder some of the problems which may be encountered when constructing Gordon/Gilbert as a puppet. Primarily, the issue of what materials we will be using. Fiona and I have discussed the possibility of working with a more substantial material than plasticine, which I found difficult to use last year, as it gives, attracts fibres and dirt, and is susceptible to deforming. We hope to cast the faces and possibly hands using silicone or latex. However, if we can keep as much skin covered as possible, by using gloves, long sleeves etc. then we can minimise the amount of moulding and casting required. For the rest of the body, we are aiming to use foam or sponge as a foundation, before creating miniature costumes out of fabrics which can be fitted to the sculpted foam (hence most of my designs featuring fitted/tailored costumes).
   
        As I sketched out more designs, Gordon began to lose some of his initial height, which was his defining feature. However, he cannot become too tall, as that would mean building the sets bigger. When Fiona and I build our armatures, I feel it would be best if we worked alongside one another, so we can keep the disparate heights which was so important in my first designs.


        Sven, Fiona's character, also changed shape quite markedly, losing some of his stocky angularity. Looking at our two design sheets, our styles are quite different to one another, meaning we will have to be careful that we do not end up with two characters that cannot plausibly inhabit the same space. Yet my models rarely end up with identical features to my designs (my modelling skills are not good enough yet), so as long as we work closely together in constructing our puppets, I am sure they will sit well alongside each other.

        The other major consideration is how to handle the facial animation. The eyes are not too much of a problem, but we don't have the time or resources available to create a vast library of replacements (a la Laika), or use a mechanical 'skull' which can be animated to show mouth or brow movements. So far, we have a number of options: add in any facial animation digitally in post production, cover up the mouth with (movable) facial hair (or a surgical mask) so that we need only incorporate rough movements, or simply don't animate the face, keeping a fixed expression throughout.

        Once we have a firmer picture of our narrative, it will be easier to determine how much facial animation we require, and which approach will be best suited to our project.

No comments:

Post a Comment