Sunday 9 November 2014

Observing Movement.

        From the outset of this module I have been observing how people move, concentrating on them when I am out in public, studying Eadweard Muybridge's photography etc. Since choosing my lyrics and beginning to develop my ideas, however, I have begun to focus more closely upon searching gestures. How do people look for things?


        By asking my family to act out how they would search, as well as finding films, TV programmes and animations where the characters have lost something,I have begun to build up a library of poses and facial expressions that my character might assume. The animations are particularly useful as the poses are often extreme and exaggerated; my favourites are Monsters Inc. where Scully looses Boo in the company toilets, and the way that Pingu's flippers tremble tensely when he begins to panic. However, live action programmes have also given allowed me to pick up on some of the more subtle and realistic cues that characters give off, such as the Friends episode where Phoebe babysits the triplets; on turning around to discover one of them is missing she freezes momentarily in shock. 

        With all these helpful influences, I began to build up a rough storyboard of how I expect the animation to pan out. This first draft will give me something to work from when it comes to recording our own video reference which will in turn inform how we animate Moom.



No comments:

Post a Comment