Friday 15 May 2015

Lighting

        Although we were given a useful and informative induction into lighting at the beginning of this module, I have little experience of lighting a scene effectively. Thankfully, Fiona has a greater understanding of lighting than I and had made notes on how she envisaged the scene being lit.



        While we attempted to light the scenes ourselves at first, our initial test shots came out looking rather flat, which did not communicate the atmosphere of discomfort and unease we were aiming for. In the image below the lighting is very flat, and also quite warm, whereas the second test is darker, dingier and the strong shadows create a sinister and more threatening vibe. While by no means perfect, the second image is stronger and more effective at communicating mood and atmosphere. As we are relying more heavily on audio, lighting and cinematography rather than animation, it is important we use lighting effectively. The problem with the first image is that we had too many lights. We would be better of sticking to just two to create the strong shadowing we desire: an edge light, and a softer fill light, perhaps bounced off a screen/card.

 


        While I understand the principles of lighting, my inexperience and lack of confidence mean that I am at the moment not capable of recognising how a scene should be effectively lit. Compared to the enthusiasm I felt for the modelling and construction stages of production, the technical tasks of lighting and camera work leave me confused, frustrated and without motivation. However, I feel it is important that I develop at least a basic understanding and ability of lighting and photography, to enable me to effectively record my work in future, if not as an animation then at least as stills for my portfolio.

On the plus side, the pale pigs show up well in the dark set.

No comments:

Post a Comment