Wednesday 22 April 2015

Save The Children - Complete Storyboard & Submission

        After the final critique I undertook a few last minute alterations. The most notable of these was adding in the first half of the storyboard, which provided a little more character insight, revealing how the little boy character is brushed aside by his father, and his desire to be read to goes unfulfilled. These frames will also more firmly establish the importance of colour in representing 'bright futures'.



        I also chose to remove any contextual reference images which had previously been included on the second board. We had been advised that any work included on the pitch boards should be our own, so it would not have been appropriate to include the work of other artists and illustrators, even if only as reference images. This also gave me a little more space to include additional character variations, showing the two little boy characters in their daywear, as well a night wear.



        A recurring comment which I received was a suggestion to reduce the amount of text on each pitch board. Yet despite my best intentions to streamline my writing, I could not help that everything I had written was necessary to explain the project. After all, many others had little or no explanatory text on their boards, making it incredibly problematic to understand the project from the boards alone.

        One other suggestion which I did act upon was that I could perhaps include more examples of how the actual animation would be viewed. Although I had included contextual images showing fathers engaging with the posters and supporting material, I had neglected to demonstrate how audiences would engage with the film itself. Visiting professionals from CBBC revealed that the internet video services such as Youtube are overtaking television of the main way children view animations. There would also be the potential for the campaign film to be shown as an advert on Youtube. 


        Finally satisfied that I had made as many modifications as I could (there will always be things which could improved, I have discovered), it was time to submit my work. Judging does not take place until later in the year, and I do not have high hopes my work will be among the winners. Regardless, it would be useful to receive some constructive feedback so I know how my work was viewed by the judges, and what I can do to be more successful in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment