Wednesday 22 April 2015

WeTransfer - Brief Analysis

        The third individual brief I chose was WeTransfer's challenge to create a self portrait of a future version of myself. This brief was unusual and intriguing. While some briefs (Yorkshire Tea) allow a degreet of creative freedom, this brief is almost entirely without restrictions. It is left to the artist to specify the audience and the purpose of their projects and produce illustrations accordingly. While some of the available briefs also felt completely irrelevant to me as an animator, although this is an illustration brief, it is relevant and beneficial to me if I am able to use the final designs for self promotion.

What Problem is identified by the brief?
As the future inevitably draws nearer, and technology keeps on advancing, how can we future proof ourselves, and be prepared for whatever may come? This brief provides the opportunity to ponder these questions.
What is the brief asking you to do about it?
The brief requests that we produce an illustration of the 'future you'. There should be two parts to this illustration, a print and an online component, which should relate to one another, and work together, but also stand alone as individual pieces. Aside from these specifications, the brief is very much open to interpretation. It is up to me to decide who the audience is, what the purpose of the illustrations is, and what medium to work in. However, it must be relevant to the future me.
What is the brief trying to achieve?
This is an interesting question. Arguably, it is attempting to get artists to consider the future of illustration, and our perception of what illustration is and its place in an increasingly digital world. Will there still be a place for traditional techniques, or will CGI begin to dominate the world of illustration as well as animation? There is also a strong emphasis on ensuring that a strong concept remains at the heart of illustration.
Who will benefit?
Unusually, it seems to be the artist who benefits the most from this brief. In my case, the resultant illustrations will be used for self promotion, on business cards and websites etc. Consequently, they help promote me, I will be the main beneficiary. WeTransfer also gets the good publicity of encouraging an emerging generation of artists.
What is the message?
The message is all centred around who and what I wish to be in ten years time, and what I hope to achieve. I want to be a professional puppet maker, model maker, and taxidermist. I would also like to branch out into theatre and film (props, puppeteering, prosthetics, practical effects). As you can tell, I have a number of dreams and aspirations, but many use similar skills, and may benefit one another.
Who is the audience?
My audience that I wish to attract, is fairly broad in terms of age and gender. I wish to reach out to like minded people, who are interested in puppets, modelling, taxidermy etc. It doesn't matter how old they are. What is important is finding potential clients, employers and collaborators.
How will the message be delivered?
The best way to deliver this message would perhaps be to build something, as set or a puppet for example which would visually represent my interests and skills. However, I do not yet have the modelling and fabrication skills that I hope future me has, so I feel that my drawing skills would do better justice to this project. 
Can you foresee any problems in responding to the brief?
The level of freedom could potentially prove to be problematic. While these illustrations are ultimately a self portrait, I will also need to consider what may appeal to my proposed audience, and not just to what I wish to see. How can I market myself. Another major concern is the brief's emphasis on the future of advancing technology. My skills lie squarely in the hand drawn and handmade. What place will traditional techniques have in the future? How can I present myself to appear relevant in this speculative future? 

No comments:

Post a Comment