Thursday 23 April 2015

Yorkshire Tea

        Yorkshire Tea’s brief allows for a certain amount of creative freedom. The specification for a product innovation could encompass any number of possible outcomes, from a new packaging design, to a new drinking experience. My first instinct was to use this opportunity to design a character, who could appear on packaging and merchandise, similarly to PG Tips’ Monkey, and the Tetley Tea men. Although the intricate pastoral paintings seen on the boxes of Yorkshire Tea are distinctive, the company does not have an instantly recognisable figure which can be used  as a brand representative.


As many on the existing packaging designs feature shepherds,
and farmers, I liked the idea of including a faithful companion,
as a canine figure may appeal to us, a nation of dog lovers.
        A character also seems to be a reliable method of appealing to a younger demographic, which is Yorkshire Tea’s ultimate goal with this brief. However, as I began to sketch out characters, they all seemed too cartoonish and not in keeping with the Yorkshire Tea image.  As a brand, it comes across as mature and traditional, and not to acknowledge this fact may result in alienating established customers in favour of attracting a younger demographic. I felt that my product innovation should reflect the Yorkshire Tea’s personality, an uphold the company’s values.

        ‘Lets have a proper brew’ is Yorkshire Tea’s slogan, and effectively encompasses the brand’s enthusiasm for doing things properly. As is the Yorkshire way. I wished to incorporate this traditionalism and pride in the brand’s roots into my response. Rather than continue with a character design, I began work on a new packaging design.

          Whilst researching the brand, a division of Taylor’s of Harrogate, I discovered that its origins lie in Victorian Yorkshire. I was struck with the inspiration to re-imagine the company’s traditional bucolic packaging, depicting rural Yorkshire life, in the style of Victorian etchings and engravings.


        Many of the scenes on the tea boxes show farmers and shepherds, which I was keen to maintain. Yet I still wished to place more of an emphasis on human figures. I imagined the founding Taylor brothers, taking in the scenery, and enjoying a ‘proper brew’.

        To balance the new aesthetic, and introduction of more prominent human figures, I attempted to remain faithful to the countryside compositions created by Andrew Hutchinson. As a member of the younger demographic Yorkshire Tea wish to attract, I can honestly say that quality, hand made, traditional  products and techniques have a strong charm and appeal.




        I produced a number of slight variations, each of which could potentially be used as a design on the Yorkshire Tea box, while aspects could be extracted, and used as designs on tea bag tags, and other products as appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment