Sunday 9 March 2014

The Model Continued

        In the second of our 3D workshop inductions, the emphasis was very much on using plasticine to add form and body to our armatures, and beginning to build them up into the character we had designed. However, before we could start using the plasticine, we had the vital task of covering the bare milliput with pharmaceutical tape, giving the plasticine something textured to grip onto, as apparently it just will not adhere to milliput.
 
 
        Although I had left plenty of space between the milliput blocks to allow for free movement in the joints, as I added the bandage, I felt that perhaps I should have used less milliput around the wire, as the characters 'muscles' began to look too bulky before I had even added the plasticine outer layer. The problem is that I had tried to add shape using the milliput, when really I only need it to keep the wire rigid. However, rather than giving up and starting again, I tried to make the best of the situation and learn from my mistakes.
 
 
        Once everything was securely bandaged up, I began applying the plasticine, not bothering too much with refining the figure, but ensuring it adhered securely to the armature and being sparing at first, allowing the opportunity to build up areas later.
 




 
        Once the entire frame was covered, I began shaping her figure. I was inspired by the extreme shapes used in many stop motion characters, where often women have extreme curves (see Paranorman's sister and Corpse Bride's hips) which would be absurd in real life and yet work well within context. Oddly though, it was the arms and shoulders that proved the biggest challenge, probably due to structural problems. Aside from large milliput biceps, I don't think that I made the wire shoulders wide enough, or high enough. Consequently, I couldn't make her torso as wide as I would have liked, and she has a little hunchback, but again this will be something I can learn a valuable lesson from.
 
        By the end of the session I hadn't managed to get as much modelling done as some of my classmates, who had added facial features, clothing and milliput eyes (as the plasticine doesn't stick, they can be rolled around in their sockets by tweaking the 'pupils' which are actually holes), but I was happy with what I had achieved and am really looking forward to our next session!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment